Associazione Culturale Scarti will be holding the 17th edition of Magma – mostra di cinema breve (International Short Film Festival):1. The festival, open to filmmakers and works from all over the world, will take place in Acireale, Italy, in November 2018.
2. The festival accepts short films of the following genres: narrative, documentary, experimental and animation. Maximum duration allowed for each film is 20 minutes. Music videos will not be taken into consideration.
3.Eligible works must have been completed no earlier than 1 January 2017.
4. To take part in the selection, entrants are required to submit their short film by June 30th 2018 filling out the online entry form. Short films must be submitted by using video uploading/sharing services (Dropbox, Wetransfer, Youtube, Vimeo, etc.) provided by the entrant.
5. Besides submitting the link to the short film and filling in the entry form, entrants must include the dialogue list (in English and/or Italian), a photo of the filmmaker and a film still (in JPEG format). By submitting these photos, entrants authorise their free and public diffusion, both for the festival catalogue/website and promotional purposes. All the above materials must be uploaded to the registered area by following the specified submission process.
6. Short films submitted without the above required documentation may not be admitted to selection.
7. Short films in languages other than Italian must be provided with subtitles either in English and/or Italian. Works in languages other than Italian without subtitles (English and/or Italian) will not be taken into consideration.
8. Each filmmaker is held responsible for the content of their own works.
9. The short films to be included in the festival will be selected by the Associazione Culturale Scarti committee members. Works submitted for pre-selection will be stored in the archives of Associazione Culturale Scarti, where they will be made available for consultation, study or cataloguing purposes and as reference materials for other festivals. They may also be used for full or partial repetition of the event in any form, at any time, in any place, with prior notification sent to the e-mail address specified on the entry form.
10. All selected entrants will be notified via e-mail by September 2018 and will be required to send a screening copy and other materials useful to the festival
11. The Festival Organising Committee reserves the right to use an excerpt of each selected film for promotional purposes.
12. Participation in the festival is free of charge. Works admitted to the final phase of the festival will not be entitled to any form of payment.
13. Selected short films will be screened according to a programme published on the festival official website prior to the start of the event and will be judged by a panel of experts that will give the Lorenzo Vecchio Award to the best Magma 2018 short film. The award winner will receive a € 1.500 cash prize.
14. The viewing public will vote for the films and decide the winner of the Audience Award.
15. Prior to the start of the event, the Organising Committee reserves the right to decide to award other special mentions as well as establish competitive and non-competitive sections to include in the festival programme.
16. Once short films have been submitted for pre-selection, under no circumstances may they be withdrawn from the festival.
17. Submission of the entry form to Magma – mostra di cinema breve implies unconditional acceptance of all the above mentioned rules and regulations.
18.According to the Italian Legislative Decree no.196/2003, personal data provided by applicants will only be used in relation to the festival competition and may be published on the official website.
19.Decisions of the Festival Organisational Committee regarding all matters not expressly provided for in these regulations or which require interpretation of the clauses mentioned above shall be final and binding on all parties. Catania Law Court is held responsible for any other controversial matter and the Italian version of this text is the only one to refer to.