Associazione Culturale Scarti is glad to announce the Call for Entries for the 18th edition of Magma - mostra di
cinema breve (International Short Film Festival), which takes place every year in Acireale (Italy). The festival, open to
filmmakers and works from all over the world, will take place in Acireale (Italy) between November 18th and 23rd 2019.
CONDITIONS OF REGISTRATION
1) Participation in the festival is free of charge.
2) The festival accepts short films of the following genres: narrative, documentary, experimental and animation.
Maximum duration allowed for each film is 20 minutes. Music videos will not be taken into consideration.
3) Eligible works must have been completed no earlier than January 1st 2018.
4) To take part in the selection, entrants are required to submit their short films by
June 1st 2019 June 15th 2019 filling out the online
entry form. Short films must be submitted by using video uploading/sharing services (Dropbox, WeTransfer, YouTube,Vimeo, etc.) provided by the entrant.
5) Besides submitting the link to the short film and filling in the entry form, entrants must include the dialogue list (in
English and/or Italian), a photo of the filmmaker and a film still (in JPEG/PNG format, 300dpi). By submitting these
photos, entrants authorise their free and public diffusion, both for the festival catalogue/website and all promotional
purposes. All the above materials must be uploaded to the registered area by following the specified submission
procedure. Short films submitted without the above required documentation may not be admitted to selection.
6) Short films in languages other than Italian must be provided with subtitles either in English and/or Italian. Works
in languages other than Italian without subtitles (English and/or Italian) will not be taken into consideration.
7) Each filmmaker is held responsible for the contents of their own works and – through the acceptance of this call
for entries – they declare to own any rights required for the public distribution and screening of the submitted films,
both in their entirety and in their individual parts (e.g. soundtracks, archive images, etc.)
8) The short films to be included in the festival competition will be selected by the Associazione Culturale Scarti
committee members. Works submitted for pre-selection will be stored in the archives of Associazione Culturale
Scarti, where they will be made available for consultation, study or cataloging purposes and as reference materials
for other festivals. They may also be used for full or partial repetition of the event in any form, at any time, in any
place, with prior notification sent to the e-mail address specified on the entry form.
9) All selected entrants will be notified via e-mail by September 2019 and will be required to send a screening copy
and other materials useful to the festival.
10) The festival Organising Committee reserves the right to use an excerpt of each selected film for promotional purposes.
11) Works admitted to the final phase of the festival will not be entitled to any form of payment.
AWARDS & JURY
12) Selected short films will be screened according to a programme published on the festival official website prior to
the start of the event. A panel of experts invited by the Organisational Committee and publicly announced prior the
beginning of the festival will give the Lorenzo Vecchio Award to the best Magma 2019 short film. The award winner will
receive a € 1.500 cash prize. The viewing public will vote for the films and decide the winner of the Audience Award.
13) Prior to the start of the event, the Organising Committee reserves the right to decide to award other Special
Mentions as well as establish competitive and non-competitive sections to include in the festival programme.
14) Once short films have been submitted for pre-selection, under no circumstances may they be withdrawn from
15) Submission of the entry form to Magma – mostra di cinema breve implies unconditional acceptance of all the
above mentioned rules and regulations.
16) According to the Italian Legislative Decree no.196/2003, personal data provided by applicants will only be used
in relation to the festival competition and may be published on the official website.
17) Decisions of the Festival Organisational Committee regarding all matters not expressly provided for in these
regulations or which require interpretation of the clauses mentioned above shall be final and binding on all parties.
Catania Law Court is held responsible for any other controversial matter and the Italian version of this text (available
at the following link: www.magmafestival.org/bando-2019-ITA) is the only one to refer to.